Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Update

Got the results of my biopsy today. Not good and not bad. The cells they were able to remove showed the presence of a suspicious lesion. They cannot confirm whether or not it is cancer, not enough of the right type of cells were harvested. So that means surgery to remove this nodule at the very least. I haven't talked to the surgeon or my doctor yet(she is on vacation until Tuesday) but from what the nurse was able to explain to me they will remove the nodule and, while I am still under anesthesia, biopsy the whole nodule to determine if it is cancerous. If it is cancerous they will then remove the entire thyroid. If not, I will be good to go.

I am sure I will find out more after I talk with my doctor and surgeon. I am just glad (and relieved) to have at least some useful information. Now I can start doing useful things like getting my schedule in order to prepare for surgery (now there's something to worry about!!). I will try to get the surgery done as soon as possible because then I am that much closer to recovery.

On a funnier note, I kind of felt bad for the nurse when she called me back (I had called and she had originally told me I wouldn't be able to get my test results until the dr. came back on Tuesday). Just the fact that she was calling me back so quickly gave it away for me - lol. Poor lady was more upset trying to break it to me that I was going to need surgery and that I might have cancer than I was. I am sure she is used to dealing with slightly more emotional and hysterical women. She kept asking me if I was o.k. I probably sounded abnormally upbeat to her, but I was! I was glad not to have to wait until next week and the news wasn't terrible. I almost feel like I need to call her back and make sure she's o.k. - lol!

That's all for now, folks!

4 comments:

Grippo said...

Hey Jennifer, well. . . not the best news of the day, but you seem to have the best attitude! Hang in there, call me if you need support. Back on my knees tonight. . .

Vicki said...

Jennifer,
Thanks so much for keeping us posted. You're in our prayers. Believing for a good report after surgery! Much love to you all...

Amanda said...

I am thankful that you do not have to wait for your answer. We are praying for you.

Tracey said...

Will be in prayer that surgery goes well, that the biopsy is clear & that recovery is quick! Jennifer, you have an amazing outlook on all this & I know that this new trial will only continue to strengthen your faith & that you will continue to be an amazing witness of Gods faithful ness to us!